700 Magnolia Blvd Long Beach NY
$150 for Re-certifications (+4% processing fee added at checkout)
In Person Training
What to bring
Knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. This certification is a prerequisite for most Lifeguard employment opportunities and mandatory prerequisite for Nassau County Lifeguard Certification.
We offer books during the course, if you would like your own copy, download here:
Red Cross Lifeguard Manual
HOW TO BECOME A NASSAU COUNTY LIFEGUARD:
STEP 1: Take and pass Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course:
- Click here to register
- Call the office after registering to receive your red cross online course link
- Complete the online course prior to your in person training dates (7hr 30min course, can be done in sections)
- Take and pass the Pre-Test (performed on first day of in person training): Consists of swimming front crawl or breaststroke for 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Participants will tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs, placing hands under armpits. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. The event consists of starting in the water, swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Participants return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point.
- Take and pass the in-person training: There will be (2) written tests and (1) Physical Scenarios at the end of course. Participants must pass the (2) Written Tests with a score of 80%. Participants must pass Physical Scenario with a score of “Pass or Fail”. If participants fail any tests they will be given an opportunity to retake test. If they fail a 2nd time, Participants can sign up for a later course at 50% off original price not including Pre-Test for a total of $115.
STEP 2: Take and pass Nassau County Grade I Lifeguard Exam
- Click here to download APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL OF LIFEGUARD QUALIFICATIONS
- Schedule an appointment with your physician to be evaluated for lifeguard eligibility (be sure to bring the above form with you and have your doctor fill it out!)
- Head to the Nassau County Lifeguard Office at the Nassau Aquatic Center. BRING THE FOLLOWING WITH YOU: (1) photo ID (2) a PAPER COPY of your Red Cross Certification and (3) the above lifeguard qualification application once completed by your doctor . Pay the signup fee (credit card only), register for an exam date and receive your test card. DON’T FORGET TO BRING YOUR TEST CARD WITH YOU TO YOUR EXAM!
- Take and pass the exam: The Performance Test will consist of: (1) Entrance into the water with a standard shallow dive,followed by a minimum speed test in freestyle – 50 yards in 35 seconds or less,(2) An endurance swim of 200 yards in continuous crawl style in good form (body must be planing the water continuously), within 3:45, (3) Front surface approach for 25 yards, followed by an alternate cross chest carry of a struggling victim for 25 yards, (4) Front and back head hold escapes, (5) 15 yard approach with a piece of equipment (torp or rescue buoy), place equipment on victim and return to starting location. (6) Surface dive in a minimum of 10 feet of water to retrieve a 10 pound weight and bring it to the surface, (7) Witness a demonstration of handling neck and back injuries in shallow and deep water, (8) Written test on lifeguarding. Must receive at least 80% on the test (the questions come from the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Textbook, which you can obtain from the Nassau County Red Cross, 195 Willis Avenue, Mineola, N.Y. 11501)
- Upon completion of the exam you will now be eligible to work as a POOL LIFEGUARD in Nassau County. See Step 3 for Bay and Ocean Lifeguard certification
STEP 3: Bay and Ocean Lifeguarding
- PRE-REQUISITE: Must pass Nassau County Grade I exam with “A” swim times: (1) 50 yards in 25 seconds (2) 200 yards in 3:45
- Complete a New York State Department of Health approved ocean lifeguard training course or acceptable equivalent (offered by Skudin Swim during the summer months, please call the office at 516-978-7946 for dates)
- Visit the Nassau County Lifeguard Office to register for the appropriate exam (Grade II for Bay, Grade III for Ocean). (Must be taken within 1 year of your Grade I exam…DON’T FORGET TO BRING YOUR TEST CARD WITH YOU!)
- Take and pass the exam:
- Grade II (Bay): The Performance Test will consist of: (1) A 50 yard run and entry into the water with a 100 yard approach with a piece of equipment (torp or rescue buoy), carry the victim back to shore using the cross chest carry with the equipment, remove victim from the water using a walking assist, (2) Surfboard rescue – 25 yard entry, 100 yard approach, place victim on the board, return to shore, remove victim from the water using a walking assist.
- Grade III (Ocean): The Performance Test will consist of: (1) 400 yard freestyle swim with a piece of equipment (torp or rescue buoy) with entry into and exit from the water in good form, (2) Single man rescue with equipment (torp or rescue buoy) – 25 yd. entry , 100 yd. approach swim, return to shore, remove victim from the water using a walking assist, (3) Surfboard rescue with a 25 yard entry, 100 yard approach, place victim on the board, return to shore, remove victim from water using a walking assist.
Skudin Swim offers employment starting at $15 an hour for the most responsible graduates.